Saturday, May 4, 2013

Day two's post, two days late.

       Day 2 TL;DR - Wrote about 1k words for my most finished novel. Jogged about a mile. Reread A Cat on a Hot Tin Roof.

       The second day of the month started off late. I woke up much later than I meant to. This meant I didn't get to play with the puppies that the school brought in as a stress relief thing before finals started, or have breakfast or anything with the GF. Hadn't been a plan to, but we usually just wig it and spend some time together. It also marked two weeks together which is cool.

       I headed right done to finish up the lighting I had to do for the BFA Recital. I was the lighting designer, and this was the last sort of hoorah for the seniors to show off their skills, and also a requirement for their graduation. As such I had to make certain everything was perfect, for their performances were.

       The hardest thing and exactly what I had to do that morning was to light a dance. Not normally hard, except that normally dance lighting doesn't show faces very much, and this time I had to. Part of the display was makeup portraying the seven deadly sins to go with the song, Seven Demons. So I had to find a balance throughout of displaying the dance and the make up. I did a fine job I think, but it took the rest of the morning.

      The literal minute I finished up I realized I had to head to a meeting. Good thing I didn't miss it; it was the first design meeting for Cat on a Hot Tin Roof for next semester, and I'm the Asst. Scenic design. That went on by and then I got to talking to the light designer about random stuff. We chatted for a while and then I jugged to the dining hall. not sure of the distance but I think it is between a half mile and a mile. Ate some lunch then headed with the GF to my radio show.

      I had a good show, very relaxed. I met a new high-school intern we have at the station which was cool. After the show I headed back to my dorm and tried to get some homework done, but I just couldn't focus. Instead I reread Cat on a Hot Tin Roof again before dinner.

     Had dinner with the GF and our group of friends quickly. The dining hall is only open for certain hours unfortunately. I then had to go change into something a bit nice and headed back down to the theater for the final dress rehearsal. It was an open rehearsal so we had a near full audience, and I was not going to be able to attend the performance the next night, so it was the opening night in my mind.

      The show went fantastic. The scene I love the most is a section done from a play called Saxophone Music. In the scene we see two men. One is apparently autistic, the other seems to be an ex (and maybe relapsing) junkie. The way in which the young man played the autistic man was perfect. Many try to be respectful when playing the mentally handicapped and fall short in a big way. But his performance was so very perfect. That night I nearly cried, because I saw my nephew reflected in him.

      After the show, I congratulated the actors and made my way to my room. I spent the night on reddit, writing on my novel and telling myself "I will start studying in a few minutes". I couldn't focus though, and just spent the night on reddit.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on the writing and your show! Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete